Who is Eligible to Vote in a Rural Municipality

In a Rural Municipality, to be eligible to vote in a municipal election a voter must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a Canadian Citizen
  • A resident of the rural municipality you are voting in for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of election

If you are not a resident within the rural municipality, you are eligible to vote if you are:

  • Assessed with respect to an improvement with the rural municipality
  • A spouse of a person mentioned in any of the above
  • The Chief Executive Officer of a duly incorporated corporation, co-operative or religious association that is assessed property in the municipality

When voting for Division Councillors, residents of the rural municipality vote in the Division in which they reside, regardless of how many divisions they own land in. If you own assessed property in more than one Division, but do not live within the rural municipality, you are eligible to vote in the division where you have the highest total of assessed land. Voters may only vote once in a municipality, but a person who is eligible to vote in more than one municipality may do so. (Landowners who own land in a personal name as well as a corporation name can only vote once). 

Contact the office if you have questions regarding eligibility 306-948-2422

Voter Identification

For a complete list of acceptable voter identification click here

What You Need to Know about Running for Municipal Council

The Ministry of Government Relations has developed a new document aimed at informing citizens of the requirements and process of running for municipal council.

Saskatchewan municipalities need citizens to take on leadership roles as elected officials (council members) to represent the people in the community and provide direction on the policies and programs that will lead to better quality services. 

Click Here for more details on Running for Municipal Council